Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Hoot Hoot Halloween

Okay, I know its been quite a while since my last post, but I haven't just turned into a zombie with nothing to write about. On the contrary, I have been a very busy busy bee, just behind on my posts :)
For Halloween this year I made a simple owl costume for my baby boy. Here's a small tutorial on How to make it for your baby next year-




Materials:
onesie
multiple shades of brown and cream tear drop shaped felt pieces
matching thread
tan knit fabric for cap or pre-made baby cap
yellow felt for eyes and beak
black felt for eyes

  1. To start I cut out a few dozen tear drop shapes from my felt to represent feathers. I decided to have lighter colored feathers across the stomach and darker across the back and sides.
  2. I began sewing the first leaves along the bottom of the onesie and proceeded to sew overlapping layers until I reached the neckline.
  3. It was mostly time consuming to sew through the thickness and to arrange the felt pieces, but honestly once all the felt is cut its pretty easy.

  1. For the cap, I traced a preexisting cap that already fit his head, but included a slight curve for the "ears"  and added a seam allowance, then I cut out felt to match the top portion so the "ears would stand up instead of slouching. 
  2. After sewing the pieces together I cut out the beak and circle shapes for the eyes and hand-stitched each using matching colored threads.
If you have a baby girl, it would be super cute to use pink colored felt feathers too, or even a white or pink onesie.

There you have it, super simple, and an adorable baby boy to boot!


I hope you had a fun Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment